Ingredients & Targets
- 18g of your favourite Cairngorm filter roast coffee (lighter than espresso)
- 300g (or ml) of filtered water.
- Alternatively, adjust to a Coffee Brew Ratio of 1:16.7 (Coffee: Filtered Water)
- Target TDS: 1.23% – 1.48%
- Pour Over Device (April, Kalita, V60, KÕNO)
- Filter papers
- Digital scales
- Bring your kettle to the appropriate temp (94-96°C is a great place to start).
- Insert filter paper into the brew device and rinse.
- Allowing to drain, use hot water to thoroughly rinse filter paper, this will eliminate paper flavour and preheat device.
- Grind 18g of coffee at a medium coarseness.
- Place brewing device, with pre-wet filter paper on decanting device and scales, add ground coffee and tare the weight.
- Start your timer as you pour 50g of brewing water to allow even saturation of coffee grounds and allow coffee to release any gas it may contain. This makes it easier to integrate coffee grounds in to the brew while pouring.
- Wait approximately 30 seconds before your next pour, this is called the bloom.
- Add 70g of water to reach 120g, pouring in a steady spiral motion from the centre out and back in, allow to steep for 10 seconds or until the water drops by about 3cm.
- Add 130g of water to now reach 250g, pouring in a steady spiral motion from the centre out and back in, allow to steep for another 15 seconds or until the water drops by about 3cm.
- Add the remaining 50g to reach the overall brew weight of 300g, pouring in a steady spiral motion from the centre out and back in, after all liquid has dispensed, discard the used filter paper and rinse brewing device.
- We recommend an overall brew time of 2:30min - 3:00min
- Sit back, relax and sip your deliciously brewed coffee.